Saturday, November 5, 2011

The significance of sand

Today I was thinking about how captivated I am day after day at the beauty of this world. The beauty of the Lord's creation. I myself, never used to be captivated by things I see in my every day life as I do now. I praise Him that He has opened my eyes to appreciate all that He has given us while we are on this Earth.

It was June 2010. I had flown to Southern California to visit one of my dearest and best friends to attend a Jeremy Camp/BarlowGirl concert together. One day we decided to spend the afternoon at the beach. I was laying in the sun, listening to the waves crash, admiring the palm trees and enjoying the sunshine I so rarely see in Portland, when I looked down at the sand and that is when it hit me. I could not stop staring at the sand and right then and there tears flooded my eyes and started streaming down my face. (I am so not even joking.) EACH and EVERY grain of sand, God had hand made with a unique design. He put His heart into each and every piece. In the SAND!!! That is just absolutely beyond my comprehension! As I sat there thinking about that, it was then I realized that if He would do that for every grain of sand in the Universe, can you IMAGINE how deeply He TRULY loves each and every one of us? That moment is when I started to truly see Him as an artist. The ultimate artist. Everything I see has beauty, a beauty like never before. My breath is taken away by the clouds and each unique design that appears as a new day arrives.

While I was in Haiti this past October, our team was surprised with a trip to the beach one afternoon. We were all sitting around at breakfast that morning when the news was laid on us. I sat there holding back tears once again because it was this very moment that has made the beach the most special place to me of any. There is nothing better than to spend an entire week serving Jesus and getting to witness some of the most amazing and glorious aspects of His creation. A part of that afternoon at the beach I just sat by myself in the sand picking seashells thinking about that moment while praising and thanking Him. That afternoon was priceless and so special beyond words to me.

My prayer is that we never forget how much He loves us. Whether in the good times or the times of struggle. He is faithful and true. I know we will never be able to fully grasp the kind of love He has for us, but remembering the grains of sand is always what will help me get a small glimpse of understanding. He is a God of compassion and mercy. A God who's love NEVER fails, NEVER ends, and NEVER changes. Rest in that my friends... Rest in that.

I leave you with a picture of my memory captured while in Haiti-- the blessing at the beach.

In Him,
Nicole Elizabeth

1 comment: